Ongoing International Mission Projects
La Croix, Haiti
Westminster has prayed for and supported projects in La Croix, Haiti since the mid-1990s. Some of our projects include:
- La Croix Technical School began classes in 2018 for four disciplines: Carpentry; Sewing; Computer Technology and Masonry. In 2019 four more courses of study will be added in Electricity and Solar; Plumbing and Irrigation; Welding and Agriculture.
- Westminster Haiti Child Sponsorship Program: Since 1997, Westminster members have lovingly supported La Croix students with sponsorships providing quality education, a uniform, and a daily meal.
- The Pocket Change Project
- New Testament Mission Library
- Support of La Coupe School and Pastor: Westminster adopted the La Croix satellite school of La Coupe, providing the funds to complete a new school building and providing salary and transportation for the head teacher/pastor.
- Femmes De La Croix Scarf Project: This project has taught young women, both mission staff and high school students, how to paint silk scarves. Scarves can be purchased through Westminster Church.
- Tools for Haiti: Our friends in La Croix are working on a much-needed vocational school. Construction is moving along well, but in order to prepare the students for work as professionals, good-quality tools are needed. DONATE HERE
Westminster has been a member of the partnership between the Pittsburgh Presbytery and the Synod of Blantyre of the Church of Central Africa (C.C.A.P.), Malawi, Africa since its inception in 1991. Westminster's sister church is the Zomba C.C.A.P. Since 1991, numerous visits to and from Malawi have involved relationship building, education events, pastoral exchange, evangelism rallies, medical mission work, and building construction.
Westminster and some private donors have supported a pre-school in Blantyre, Malawi owned and operated by Kenneth and Christine Nsona. The children come from disrupted families due to disease and poverty. In 2019 two members of Westminster visited the pre-school to assess their needs and operational stability.
Miraj and Sangli, India
Westminster provides support to several projects in India:
- Sangli Industrial School (SIS): Founded In 1891 by Presbyterians, this A-rated trade school enrolls more than 300.
- Vadaketh Development Centre (VDC) and Vadaketh Rehabilitation Centre (VRC): Providing therapy and humane care for special needs children plus vocational training for adults.
- Miraj Medical Center: Founded in 1894 by an American Presbyterian missionary doctor, this charity hospital provides care for the poor in Sangli and Miraj.
- Prabhat Tara Sanstha: Organization that provides home and food for children, a hospice house for women and children dying of HIV/AIDS, health and medicine services, Bible studies, preschool and youth education, and adult literacy/skills training.
If you would like to learn more about our international missions, please contact Jan Baumann, volunteer coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-835-6630x205.